History of Clairbourn School

Clairbourn School has a long and distinguished history.  Almost 100 years ago, when the school was started in the home of the Bourne family, the area was populated with suburban estates, vineyards, and orange groves all located just beyond a few city centers. The school grew from serving a handful of local San Marino and Pasadena families to welcoming students from all over the valley.
  

Early Beginnings

In January of 1926, the Arthur K. Bourne family, who were heirs of the Singer Sewing Machine fortune, were motivated to open a Kindergarten in their San Marino home library for their daughter Claire and her friends. By September, the enrollment expanded from the original four students to fourteen and a first grade was added. One year later, the little school needed more space, and the operation moved to 1261 San Pasqual St. in Pasadena where twenty-three children were enrolled in Kindergarten through the third grade. At that time, the school was known as The Claire Louise Progressive Elementary School. As demand increased, they extended the grades. The rapid growth prompted another move in 1928 to 245 West California Street in Pasadena.

More Expansion and Moves

By the early 1930's, the school's popularity caused another expansion, and seventh and eighth grades along with a four-year high school were included. The official name of the school was also changed at that time to Clairbourn, which combined, without any "e"s, the first and last names of Claire Bourne, the original student for whom the school was founded.

By 1931, Clairbourn moved again to a portion of land in San Gabriel which became its permanent home—an estate of 3.5 acres on Huntington Drive. By 1933, Clairbourn produced its first class of high school graduates.
  
  
  

The War Years

The year 1939 brought many changes to the school. It was the end of the Great Depression, but also the start of WWII. Because of the war, Clairbourn's high school and middle school grades were discontinued, and a nursery school program was added. A property expansion followed in 1956 when an adjacent 5-acre estate came on the market. The estate was purchased and Clairbourn School took over the whole 8-acre block.
  
  
  
  

The School Takes Shape

By the 1980s, Clairbourn settled in to offering preschool through 8th grade classes, and had become a popular and respected destination for families seeking a private school education for their children. The campus facilities, however, which still had older buildings from when the property was comprised of two residential estates, required a lot of work, to match the quality of instruction taking place. To bring the campus into the 20th Century, Clairbourn's Trustees established a Master Plan that included a renovated infrastructure of sidewalks, central lighting, irrigation, electrical and gas lines, as well as a new Library, Art Studio, and Music Room. By 1986, all these improvements were in place.

Other key structures, such as a new 4th and 5th grade classrooms building and a Multi-Purpose Building to house indoor sports and assemblies, soon followed in the late 1980s and early 90s.
  

West Campus Renovation Project

By the Late 1990s through the mid 2000s, Clairbourn took on the task of replacing the rest of its classroom buildings and activity spaces. This West Campus Renovation Project covered eleven classrooms from preschool through 3rd grade. The newest addition to the Clairbourn campus came in 2007 with the construction of the Seiter Family Early Childhood Center—a state-of-the-art preschool building with play yard.
  
  

Additional Enhancements

After 2010, when the major campus components were in place, Clairbourn moved on to enhance other areas around campus and added beautiful raised gardening beds which are used for after-school classes and classroom activities as needed. To assist in science studies, a commercial grade Earth Networks weather station was installed the roof of the Multi-Purpose Building. Athletic facility enhancements were also added. The school's athletic field and swimming pool were renovated, a state-of-the-art batting cage was added, and climbing-wall play equipment and a Gaga court were added. By 2015, the computer technology on campus was boosted to an even higher level with the installation of an Innovation Lab complete with 3D printers, new computers, touch-screen monitors, and programmable robots.

By 2016, Clairbourn renovated its much-beloved library to reflect the way books and digital assets are used today, and then moved on to create an inviting and functional conference space, called the David Orndorff Conference Room, for parent CFA and school-related meetings.
  
  
  

A Bright Future

Today, thanks to the labor and love of all those in the past who envisioned what Clairbourn could be, the school is now a vibrant and beautiful learning environment where student enjoy every educational tool and convenience designed to provide them with 21st Century skills and knowledge.
  
  

Come Visit Us!

Clairbourn School is a coeducational, private school for students in preschool through middle school (JPK-Grade 8) that has continuously served the greater Pasadena area since 1926. We are known for excellent academics, our welcoming community, our attractive campus, and a strong record of sending graduates to top area high schools.
Private School Education for Preschool, Kindergarten, Elementary School, & Middle School Grades - Serving Families in the Pasadena Area and Surrounding Cities
Clairbourn is a 501(c)3 charitable organization. (K-12 Private Schools)